Friday, August 13, 2010

Honey, What's That?

As usual, our precious little one woke up around 6am for the day on Monday morning. He was probably especially eager since it was his 10 month birthday. I thought I would be writing to you about that, but this takes precedence. Here's the scene: Samuel is looking like an angel sitting in his bedroom floor quietly thumbing through his basket of books. He looked engaged enough that Tyson and I could manage to get to the coffee pot, pour ourselves a cup of coffee and stagger into the living room. I kept one ear tuned in to any pitter patter coming from Samuel's room in case he suddenly decided the return air vent or bathroom toilet was more exciting than his basket of books. Okay, so back to the living room...the two of us are just trying to get both eyes open and nursing our cups of coffee. I was sitting on the loveseat and Tyson on the sofa. All of the sudden something cought my eye from across the room. I didn't have my contacts in yet, so it looked to me like a large dark brown "something" stuck to our two inch blinds on the window to the left of our fireplace. All I could mutter was, "Honey, what's that?" After I got those words out I sort of froze in place. Tyson stood up and leaned towards the window. I'm thinking frog or small bird at this point. Even though neither of those are what you expect to find hanging from your living room window blinds either. Tyson clarified for me. "It's a bat!" I was up off that loveseat, grabbed the computer, grabbed Samuel and locked us all in our bedroom in about 2 seconds. You might be asking why I grabbed the computer. Some of you know already. G-O-O-G-L-E! Here's what we frantically typed: "How do you get a bat out of your house?" Long story short, Tyson had the bat and got it out a few minutes later. He just walked up to it (it was sleeping), grabbed it w/ a towel and took it outside. This made me chuckle, the instructions said to talk softly to the bat. You've got to be kidding me! I did ask T if talked softly to him when he came back. He said he didn't have to. I guess the little bat was sleeping so soundly he didn't realize what was happening. We're thinking it came through our chimney and out the front of the fireplace. We have the vent shut, but apparently the little dudes can flatten themselves and get through tiny cracks. Great! I taped a large piece of cardboard over the front of the fireplace just to make myself feel better for the time being.
Not exactly what we expected to wake up to and definitely not what I'm hoping to find again any time soon. My adrenaline is pumping again just thinking about it.

2 comments:

  1. I still can't stand to think about it and I didn't see it. All I have to do is picture it in my head! Of course it didn't help much telling you that I may be even more afraid of bats than snakes! Sorry Sis I'm sure you didn't need that at the time. Of course picturing you grabbing Samuel and the computer and Tyson not far behind cracked me up. This will be something you can share with Samuel when he's older:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know what the big deal is...Samuel needs a pet to play with.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...